Friday, July 3, 2009

HEAD PORTERS or WANNA-BEES

Not everyone who calls himself a "head porter" is in fact a head porter. Point-in-fact. For twenty-five years I tried to port heads. Did my efforts make a difference? Yes. Did I call myself a head porter? No. My only experience was trial and a lot of error. I knew I didn't know very much. I had many questions and almost no answers. I payed the big bucks and got my questions answered in school. I got trained by the best. It wasn't easy, and it wasn't cheap, but it was certainly well worth it. Nothing is as good as training and experience. Oh, and don't forget the right tools. The proper tools are expensive, and need sharpening and maintenance, and replacing. A pro head porter has the right tools, and knows how to use them. A pro can complete a set of heads in days not months. When you see a set of pro heads you know it. And once you see the real deal you'll know from then on the difference between pro and amateur work. On my next post I'll talk a little about whether bigger is better. Thanks, Dr.Denny

Dr. Denny does custom head porting & polishing. For more information go to DR.DENNY.COM

No comments: